Being a volunteer will give you a chance to explore different places you haven’t visited in the past. However, you also have to keep in mind that being a volunteer is all about providing aid and development. Of course, you are allowed to do your own exploration of the area but make sure that volunteering is your main goal. You can also meet other volunteers abroad who share the same purpose to help others through volunteer programs.
While being a volunteer is a fulfilling work, you also need to give yourself a break. You can bond with other volunteers abroad within the community you are assigned to or explore other areas and learn more about their culture. Knowing how to prepare yourself for volunteer work will help you get through various challenges during your time as a volunteer.
How Can You Help?
Most people have this pre-conceived notion that being a volunteer is only for people who are in the medical field. However, providing medical aid is not the only program you can select when you want to become one of the volunteers abroad. You can also try the following skillsets to see if you can fill them in:
- Teaching English. Teaching is one way that you can meaningfully influence the lives of many people while you volunteer. There are many things you can teach others but if you are fond of teaching English abroad, make sure to select a teach English in Thailand program that is perfect for your skills.
- Teach Beach Yoga. This is a great way for you to share best practices with others who are also passionate about yoga and being a Yogi or Yogini.
- Become a Sports Coach. If you have a passion for sports like basketball or football, you can definitely teach sports to kids who are more active.
- Be Involved in Childcare. If you love being surrounded by children, you can opt to be an orphanage childcare volunteer. This is also a great way for you to teach English abroad to kids who are eager to learn the language.
- Help Conserve Nature. If you are concerned about our environment, you can definitely try out various nature and animal conservation programs to ensure that natural wildlife is protected.
On Being an English Teacher
Teaching English abroad programs, as well as other volunteer programs, can sometimes be draining. That is why it is important that you also take care of your health while you are doing volunteers work. If you think you cannot handle a task, be honest and tell your host organisation regarding your preferences so they can help you find the best program that would fit your needs and interests. You also have to consider your expenses while you are out there. You need to ensure that you will be given all kinds of support to make your volunteering work more interesting.
Life is too brief to just remain in your comfort zone. There is a huge experience waiting on you out there as long as you put your heart and mind to it. There are lots of people in the world who need assistance– through cash related or through advantages. Being one of the volunteers abroad is truly a wonderful opportunity to realise your goals especially if you are the humanitarian type. If you continuously consider other people’s welfare and aim to make an impact in their lives, then volunteering will help you find your true purpose. Even your little effort can have a tremendous impact on the lives of people you are trying to help. See more at https://www.volunteering.org.au/